Monday 13 August 2012

40K Chaos Marine NERF Bolter - Part 5

Paaaaaint!

So, you know how if you're running Space Wolves, and everyone says to you "Hey, why are you even painting them, they're grey!  Just leave the original plastic, stick a wash on it and you're done!"?  Well, guess what?  I found myself in the same situation here.  Painting aluminium a nice even silver colour!  I did wonder at myself as I did it, but then I was also covering up all the filler, the black of the barrel and whatnot... Plus I knew I was going to weather it pretty heavily, so it would come good in the end. "Good job it's Chaos" as they say...

The outer casing I wanted to do with the classic yellow on black hazard stripes, a nod to the Iron Warriors or Alpha Legion (who are one of my fave chapters).  So here is the base-coated model before weathering.


Mmmmm shiny!  But not for long!  Note also the front grip in this photo - it's been painted with rubberised paint (as has the trigger grip).  I used Plasti-Dip for this, which worked pretty well but took a few coats.  You can also see the slider over the bullet casing exhaust slot.  This side slides back to allow access to the Nerf's own inspection chamber.  The one on the other side is fixed in place.

Before painting I gave the whole model a coat of "special metals" primer.  Aluminium is a funny old beast, and I didn't want any paint flaking off afterwards.  The yellow paint took a couple of coats to get even, but the black stripes went on with just one coat - something that would prove to be a bit of a gift during the weathering process...

So - I've painted a fair few miniatures, but never anything this size.  I have to say I was a bit daunted about the whole process.  Usually the way I'd go about it is whacking a wash over the whole thing, then adding some weathering powders in pertinent nooks and crannies etc.  Problem is there's loooooots of big flat surfaces here so it could get a bit tricky.

Anyway I did a bit of reading up in the old Forge World Model Masterclass book, and decided to bite the bullet.  I found some old coffee-coloured gloss paint at the back of the workshop cupboard (I dunno where that came from!  Who paints something gloss brown?!) and darkened it up a bit by spraying some black paint into it.  Then I chucked in a load of white spirit until it was a nice wash consistency.  Then I got an old paintbrush and slapped it on, hoping for the best.

The first thing that happened was that it was a bit thin, and a lot of it ran off before it could dry - being used to acrylic drying times through me a bit of a curve ball there.  So I thickened it up a bit and splodged it on again in a few areas.  The second thing that happened was that the white spirit thinned down the black stripes so much that they started to come away - they'd only had the one coat after all.  Fortunately the yellow stayed true as it had had a few coats.  Now you might think that it might be a bit upsetting, but it gives such an awesome aged effect on the stripes that I was well pleased!  Bit lucky, but I'll definitely remember that for next time...  (Yes, already thinking 3 projects in the future - isn't everyone?)

So next, a bit of rusting.  I dug out my Burnt Umber oil paint and rust-coloured weathering powders.  Plus added in a bit of Yellow Ocre for good measure.  I made up a suitably rusty coloured mix - I can't give you the exact recipe because I fiddled with it until it looked right, plus everyone has their own idea of what a good rust pattern is, don't they?  If you're going to try this, just keep fiddling until it feels right.  There's an actress and bishop joke in there somewhere... ; )

When I was happy with the mix, I got the trusty old toothbrush out, got a brushful and flicked it onto the model with a bit of aluminium off-cut.  This gave me a nice random pattern that I could adjust as I went along, building it up in layers.  Finally I thinned the mix down with white spirit and added it here and there in places that looked like they needed dirtying up a bit.

Here's the final effect.


The only problem is that all that white spirit has made the Plasti-dip a bit sticky.  I'm hoping it's going to dry again in a few hours, or that it will take a coat of varnish and harden up a bit.  At this point I'm not that fussed if it's rubbery in texture, just as long as it doesn't give me sticky fingers!


The red-dot sight was a cheap plastic gem I picked up in Hobbycraft for a couple of quid.  It does a pretty good job of catching the light considering it cost next-to-nothing.  The white line of glue around it is still drying - it dries clear.



So there ya go - it's all over bar the varnishing.  When it's applied and dried I'll try to get a vid sorted of it shooting at stuff and upload it here.

Hope you guys like it - feel free to post comments, ask away with any questions - always happy to chat about hobby!

Cheers

A$H

No comments:

Post a Comment